Sunday, January 25, 2009

Land Shark and Warlock Munnys

This first Munny was one I bought on eBay super cheap because someone had already done a crappy job customizing it. I stripped off all the paint, and decided to make it my experimental Munny. I had never tried sculpting components or cutting the vinyl before. I found cutting it to be a little difficult w/ an Xacto, so I made a V shaped cut w/ a coping saw, and was able to cut the teeth the rest of the way w/ an Xacto knife (of course I sliced my finger open in the process). For the fins I used Sculpey, and rolled if into a flat sheet to keep the thickness consistent. I attached the dried pieces w/ a hot glue gun. I sprayed the mouth black, then stuffed paper towels in there once it dried before doing the rest. Overall it came out much cooler than I expected, so I may be sculpting more.
This Munny is a blank glow in the dark Munny. I decided I wanted to paint him based on the old New Mutants character Warlock. The character was made out of living circuitry, so I used a lot of circles and square shapes. I used a similar technique I used on another Munny I did a while back, where I masked out the designs in tape before spraying the whole thing black. I wish i could take a good pic of it glowing, but you can imagine how cool it looks.

This was my first time working w/ the full sized Munnys, and I noticed that the sculpt is different from the Mini Munnys slightly (aside from the scale). I got a ton of blank ones for Christmas, but I want to finish up my piece for the Joker show first.

4 comments:

Chogrin said...

Dude, these have to be your best ones yet. Your craftmanship and detail has improved a lot. Especially on that robotic one! I really like that Shark one too though...I love the light layer you gave it for its tummy. Keep'em coming!

Daniel Fishel said...

WHOA THE MUNNY IS STRAIGHT EDGE!

Unknown said...

Thanks. yea, all my toys are EDGE. sort of like a signature I suppose, but sort of a counter to the millions of dumb smoking toys.

pw! said...

Jeff these are INTENSE! so cool. i want a warlock munny so bad, that came out incredible

ALL IMAGES, ARTWORK, AND WORD COPYRIGHT © THE AUTUMN SOCIETY & ITS INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS / ARTISTS

the autumn society IS COPYRIGHT 2010 THE AUTUMN SOCIETY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO PART OF THIS BLOG AND ITS CONTENTS MAY BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF ITS MEMBERS / ARTISTS.