Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Neil Numberman

i just wanted to take a quick second to post about another Autumn Society member, Mr Neil Numberman, who i was lucky enough to see read his brand new (and first) picture book at Books Of Wonder in NYC. I have to tell you, bias completely aside, it is REALLY great. for anyone who is still reeling from the sugar/adrenaline rush of the Halloween season, i highly recommend you check this out. if you have nieces or nephews or kids, this is one of those super fun read-alongs, and despite the breakneck speed, there is SO much to enjoy visually (especially the humor that is shown in cartoon format) that i was surprised how much i enjoyed it even more on multiple flip throughs



that being said, i also checked out his other book, Joey Fly Private Eye, written by Aaron Reynolds.

i think everyone has an early time in their youth when something amazing and influential passed through their young hands, and you can almost barely remember it. maybe it was an obscure cartoon, or a particular children's book, or a very specific graphic novel (like Tintin or this peculiar "King Smurf" comic i once had). Joey Fly is a 96 page graphic novel that pretty much puts me at that age again, discovering something strange and awesome at just the perfect time. i am surprised at how laugh out loud funny it is, and there is tons to look at here, especially the backgrounds, that crack me up.

could be a great gift for the youngins this holiday season, but i dread to admit that i frankly have copies for myself now. consider me a fan

1 comment:

minder.s said...

I gotta order me that Frankenstein book. Joey Fly is great and, as I told Senor Numberman, I loaned my copy to my boss who has three kids (ages 3,7 and 10) and, needless to say, they loved it.

ALL IMAGES, ARTWORK, AND WORD COPYRIGHT © THE AUTUMN SOCIETY & ITS INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS / ARTISTS

the autumn society IS COPYRIGHT 2010 THE AUTUMN SOCIETY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO PART OF THIS BLOG AND ITS CONTENTS MAY BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF ITS MEMBERS / ARTISTS.