Thursday, June 2, 2011

Easy Night

My contribution to the Turtles show. Unfortunately, my hard drive crashed while I was making a scan of it, so you can't really see the tones. I did this on Grafix Duoshade paper, the same paper that Eastman and Laird used for the original comics. Years ago, I emailed Peter Laird to ask him how they did it and he tipped me off about the Grafix paper and where to get it. He said old tymie newspaper comic artists used it for their shades, because the dots and lines reproduce well on newsprint. There is a chemical embedded in the paper, and when you paint over it with the shading developer, it brings out your tones. The paper is being discontinued, so I stocked up on a bunch last year. Shame of it is, I have to use it soon, because the developer evaporates and dries out - even when capped tight in the jar.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to use it appropriately in this Ninja Turtles tribute show. I think I was too old to really appreciate the teevee cartoons or movies. I was in 7th grade when the show hit, and I never really liked all the "Cowabunga Pizza Time" stuff. But I still love those early comic books. They were a movement in independent comics. They showed me as a kid that I could make my own comics if I wanted. Plus Kevin Eastman & Peter Laird played a huge part in the Creator's Bill of Rights. Furthermore, Laird gives a lot of money every year to self-publishing comics creators through the Xeric Foundation. Good dudes.

No comments:

ALL IMAGES, ARTWORK, AND WORD COPYRIGHT © THE AUTUMN SOCIETY & ITS INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS / ARTISTS

the autumn society IS COPYRIGHT 2010 THE AUTUMN SOCIETY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO PART OF THIS BLOG AND ITS CONTENTS MAY BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF ITS MEMBERS / ARTISTS.