Thursday, January 22, 2009

Boots Finish

"Mythical Boots"
18" x 24" Oil on Panel


Back in October, I visted the Brandywine River Museum for the 2nd time and cannot wait to go back. The first time I was there, I was so blown away I kept jumping from painting to painting, overly anxious to see the next. The next time I went, I made sure to take my time. The Wyeth family is indeed one of the most inspiring stories for artists of our time, each family member bringing something new and exciting to their art. The recent news of his death is indeed sad, but I cannot help but smile when I think about what he's given to us, allowing us to experience his world, even if only a fraction of it.

While at the Brandywine in October, I was walking through Andrew's gallery and came across a quote of his that struck a chord with me:

"I dream a lot. When I'm doing nothing is when I'm doing the most. Sometimes when there is great tension, or lots taking place, I may get an idea or an emotion, and it hits me strong. I let it build in my mind before I ever put it down on panel. Sometimes I do my best work after the models have gone away, purely from memory."
~ Andrew Wyeth, 1996

I think this quote partially inspired when doing this piece. A few years back, the Philadelphia Museum of Art had an Andrew Wyeth show. Andrew's "Sea Boots" have stuck with me ever since and has become one of my favorites of his work. Somewhere between my love of those boots and this quote, something made me want to paint boots of my own.

Starting with thumbnails.. just getting an idea for possibilities. I like to list out things that fit into what I'm already doing just in case it might be able add something to the piece or not. Helps to flush out the thoughts and see things together that might spark an idea.



Originally.. I had decided on adding a matching shield with the boots, almost to suggest they were a set.. but after some more thumbs, I decided it just didn't feel right. Sometimes you need to sketch out 5 or 6 things before you realize that your initial idea is the right one.



Coming to a finished idea for the boots in the sketch..


I allowed myself to stay very experimental during this painting... it evolved as I worked and some of those spur of the moment decisions were the best changes made in the process. I wouldn't do something like this for a job, but that's what makes personal work so great to do on the side. You're the director and making those sudden changes mid-way through the project can lead to very fun and exciting discoveries for future pieces once you have worked them out already.

Here's the painting in progress:

5 comments:

Tim Durning said...

looking really good. the metal pulls your eye right to the boots and the little bit of blue light off to the side is really nice.

Chogrin said...

Wow, thank-you for posting all this process! Its looking great and shiny!

Murderous T Stabwell said...

i know those boot-paintings youre referring to and they are pretty amazing. that pma show REALLY blew me away.

i think this turned out great. really strong drawing, and i think the blowing leaves give just enough motion to what could have been a very static piece. nice work!

Eric Braddock said...

Tim- Thanks, man! I wasn't sure about the light when I first added it, glad to know it's doing the job.

Joe- Thanks dude, I figured I'd do an involved post, haha.

Alex- Thanks for the compliment! It was a lot of fun, quite the experimental piece. and yeah, those wyeth boots are so good!

Anonymous said...

i'm still amazed that this is a painting. and your process is exemplary.

ALL IMAGES, ARTWORK, AND WORD COPYRIGHT © THE AUTUMN SOCIETY & ITS INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS / ARTISTS

the autumn society IS COPYRIGHT 2010 THE AUTUMN SOCIETY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO PART OF THIS BLOG AND ITS CONTENTS MAY BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF ITS MEMBERS / ARTISTS.