Thursday, October 8, 2009

Wild Things


I decided to take the challenge and come up with a Where the Wild Things Are illustration. Luckily a friend gave me the The Art of Maurice Sendak a few years ago as a gift, which served as a great source. It's an enormous book with startlingly little pages dedicated to the wild things.

I wanted to play with scale in this piece to emphasize the fact that Max, this little kid, is playing with full blown monsters. I wanted the monster to look hulking and scary but at the same time friendly. Basically, if you know nothing of the book you'd assume that the big guy is in for a quick snack, save maybe for the characters' expressions.

I didn't check out the Terrible Yellow Eyes blog until after I drew this, and I'm sort of glad as all the pieces are amazing and may have discouraged me from actually attempting this, haha.

3 comments:

Murderous T Stabwell said...

awesome, it has begun! and i know what you mean about terrible yellow eyes, that blog is incredible. but for what it's worth i think your piece can hang with the best of them

pw! said...

that is a GREAT Max!

Unknown said...

love it!!

ALL IMAGES, ARTWORK, AND WORD COPYRIGHT © THE AUTUMN SOCIETY & ITS INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS / ARTISTS

the autumn society IS COPYRIGHT 2010 THE AUTUMN SOCIETY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO PART OF THIS BLOG AND ITS CONTENTS MAY BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF ITS MEMBERS / ARTISTS.