Friday, December 10, 2010
• i originally designed a gremlins poster for inclusion in gallery 1988's 3G show this past fall.
• john louie, the actor who played the young boy whose grandfather refused to sell the mogwai at the beginning of gremlins, saw it and dug it.
• since the posters were sold out at the gallery, he contacted me asking if he could purchase one of my artist proofs, which i agreed to.
• john received said artist proof and subsequently got the idea to commission me to create a companion piece to the poster. he wanted it to feature him as a young boy, the mogwai, and his grandfather as well as references to his family (the chess pieces) and his chinese name (on the cabinet in front of the grandfather).
• i loved the idea and took the job.
• this is the result.