Friday, February 11, 2011

Week-Old Utensils


This was a thing I did for last weeks Philly Citypaper. It was their annual writing contest, and I illustrated a little somethin(s) for the winning story (which was about a teaspoon who ((spoiler)) eventually got surgery and became a bubble wand). I would say check it out, but either a) You already have, or B) You cant because its already Thursday and a new paper is in the boxes...in which case Im sorry.

Like always, I provided a few sketches. The story had an old, passed-down feeling to it, like an victorian fairy tale or an Aesop Fable. I wanted to keep the ideas fairy clean and the style as realistic as possible. I wasn't able to sit in on the meeting for this cover, so Im not entirely sure why the idea that went through was picked. I personally liked the cutout faces (lower right box).

This little inside piece depicted a key moment in the story, when the teaspoon is about to go down some stairs.

Come check out some of me older crap here.

2 comments:

Chogrin said...

These are great! Very moody & effective!

pw! said...

these are lovely! great textures

ALL IMAGES, ARTWORK, AND WORD COPYRIGHT © THE AUTUMN SOCIETY & ITS INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS / ARTISTS

the autumn society IS COPYRIGHT 2010 THE AUTUMN SOCIETY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO PART OF THIS BLOG AND ITS CONTENTS MAY BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF ITS MEMBERS / ARTISTS.