Wednesday, May 27, 2009

8 preliminary drawings for "The Twelve Caesars"

Julius Caesar
Augustus
Tiberius
Caligula
Claudius
Nero
Galba
Vitellius


I started working on these in January, I'm obviously missing 4 more, they happen to be the later Caesars that are definitely not as iconic as the first bunch. "The Twelve Caesars" by Suetonius is a really great book on ancient Rome, full of a lot of dark crazy shit. It was, also, in these preliminary drawings that I started drawing the human figure more as I do now. They were actually drawn, except for Augustus, in the order of the book. I think Caesar and Caligula being the first ones. Augustus was actually the last. I wanted them to in some way embody what I perceived, at the time, as human nature and it's relation to power, and maybe I still do. As I'm posting this I'm getting excited about the whole thing again. I'll probably try to finish up the other four drawings by the end of summer.

5 comments:

Drew Falchetta said...

wow! this is beautiful and epic!

minder.s said...

I agree, these are quite epic. There's alot to take in. I especially like the way your rendered the burning city.

Chogrin said...

Man, what a great series. I can't wait to see the epic finals!

pw! said...

wild wild great stuff here again, love seeing you do series too. i'm a huge mythology fan/buff, which in my youth spilled into Roman history somehow. you'd think i'd stick with the greeks but the Roman stuff was just so debaucherous. great solution for [i] Cludius (a favorite read as well).

i love how you have a henry darger / goya thing going on. the classical but cross sectioned quality really gets the decadence to meld with the horror. bravo man, bravo

GOGOPEDRO said...

These are all pretty wonderful. lots of great shapes and seeing the varied colors really makes them a treat.

P

ALL IMAGES, ARTWORK, AND WORD COPYRIGHT © THE AUTUMN SOCIETY & ITS INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS / ARTISTS

the autumn society IS COPYRIGHT 2010 THE AUTUMN SOCIETY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO PART OF THIS BLOG AND ITS CONTENTS MAY BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF ITS MEMBERS / ARTISTS.