Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Pick a Box


This is the piece I chose when asked if I would like to submit a last minute entry for the 8-Bit & Beyond show. My friend Chris who runs Cubeecraft.com was able to make it to the reception and told me he overheard good things being said about it, which is always encouraging!

I created this piece not too long after I discovered the exhibition (and subsequent book) I Am 8 Bit. The art school I attended was full of very old school professors who, despite being great teachers and people in general, mostly frowned upon any student-created art that related to cartooning or pop culture. I Am 8 Bit was my wake up call to serious artists doing work based around subjects that I was constantly being told to avoid. The artists were not only creating amazing work based on video games, but getting a show and book that received national attention and praise. It gave me an overwhelming sense of "You can do that?!" and validated my efforts; just like the all the great work featured in 8-Bit & Beyond has done.

1 comment:

Juanma said...

This is phenomenal!
Impresionante!

good thing this made it to the art show too.!

like the gentle detail of Mario putting his coat on her shoulders

ALL IMAGES, ARTWORK, AND WORD COPYRIGHT © THE AUTUMN SOCIETY & ITS INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS / ARTISTS

the autumn society IS COPYRIGHT 2010 THE AUTUMN SOCIETY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO PART OF THIS BLOG AND ITS CONTENTS MAY BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF ITS MEMBERS / ARTISTS.