Monday, May 9, 2011

Harvey Pekar in Huntington


I'm not featuring any of my own artwork in this post, I just wanted to point to a post I did on my my blog about Harvey Pekar's latest (and possibly last ever) graphic novel that was recently released. It's special to me because it's about his time in the city I call home: Huntington, WV. In it he recounts his experience speaking at our book fair where I was lucky enough to meet him. His speech really inspired me because it was about comics as an important art form, and it was during a time in my life when I was lead to believe that my cartoony art style was never going to be taken seriously.

Of course now I've somehow managed to become a member of the amazing Autumn Society and be involved in art shows all over the world! So if any of any of you guys or gals have ever been told to stop doodling and get a real job, you may want to read some comics by Pekar, an average joe who believed in comics as a legitimate medium for stories of all types. You can check out my in depth post about the book here!

No comments:

ALL IMAGES, ARTWORK, AND WORD COPYRIGHT © THE AUTUMN SOCIETY & ITS INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS / ARTISTS

the autumn society IS COPYRIGHT 2010 THE AUTUMN SOCIETY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO PART OF THIS BLOG AND ITS CONTENTS MAY BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF ITS MEMBERS / ARTISTS.