Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Gizmo Busts Willy


These are my pieces for the 3G Show. Please click the images for larger versions!

I thought it would be cool to have characters from all three movies crossing over and interacting with each other. The central idea was to have Gizmo using a Ghostbuster trap to capture the ghost of One-eyed Willy, and have the whole scene carry across all three pieces, as you can see above.

I knew that I still wanted to draw more characters, so I decided to design custom mats that would let me add an extra scene to each piece. This is one of the only times I can think of where I designed a series of drawings specifically around how they would look framed. It makes displaying them digitally a little tricky, and hand cutting oval mats is about as fun as it sounds.

These are among my favorite things I've done recently, and I really enjoyed going back and watching the movies for inspiration. Gremlins 2 I watched so much as a kid that I still remembered most of the dialog!

7 comments:

Dave Perillo said...

This is great!

Is that an ecto-cooler juice box Kate is holding?

Chogrin said...

NERD ALERT! This is beyond nerdy and awesome! Another homerun for Glen Brogan! And the first Willy piece to be featured yet!

Glen said...

Haha! Aw, c'mon! I mean I AM a nerd, but what makes my pieces more nerdy than everyone elses?

And yeah, that is Ecto Cooler that Kate is holding! The idea was for it to look like Slimer was ogling her, but on closer inspection you realize he just wants some of the Hi-C that featured his picture on the box.

Wait...I think I just answered my own question about the nerdyness. :)

Also, it might be too small to tell on this version, but Willy may have some of Scrooge McDuck's treasure in there...

pw! said...

out of the park Glen, out of the stratosphere with this one. all that attention and focus on brilliant composition, amazing characters, and subtle successful humor. one of the best in show (but lordy they're all so good aren't they?!)

Kasey Tararuj said...

wow, you are a genius!! i would buy this in an instant if i had wallspace (...or money). i can't begin to tell you how much i love this!

Drake Brodahl (pumml) said...

Great concept and execution. I had a big, "I wish I had thought of that" moment.

Geek Booteek said...

Amazing dude!

ALL IMAGES, ARTWORK, AND WORD COPYRIGHT © THE AUTUMN SOCIETY & ITS INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS / ARTISTS

the autumn society IS COPYRIGHT 2010 THE AUTUMN SOCIETY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO PART OF THIS BLOG AND ITS CONTENTS MAY BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF ITS MEMBERS / ARTISTS.